Key points:

Click on our infographic to see the key facts from this indicator set.

Environment infographic - If you require a transcript or an accessible version please email info@gcph.co.uk

  • Levels of air pollutants (PM10 and NO2) have reduced in the last decade in Glasgow
  • Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions have halved since 2005 but rose in 2021 after COVID-19 related restrictions on work and movement were removed.
  • 25% of households in Glasgow were estimated to be in fuel poverty in the period 2017-19
  • 73% of dwellings in Glasgow are flats, reflecting the predominance of tenements in the city
  • 45% of dwellings are owner occupied in Glasgow with the remaining 55% being rented from private landlords or housing associations
  • 26% of dwellings in Glasgow are thought to be in need of urgent repair (Scottish Household Condition Survey, 2016-18)
  • In 2021, Glasgow recycled 27% of its household waste, 3% lower than the previous year.
  • In 2011, 41% of greenspace in Glasgow was in private gardens, while public parks constituted a further 13% of greenspace
  • 53% of Glasgow residents live within 500m of derelict land, double the Scotland average

The physical environment is a key determinant of health. The surroundings in which we live and work can influence our health both directly and indirectly. Direct influences can come from being exposed to toxic, allergenic or infectious agents - the impact of air pollution on asthma or damp housing on health are specific examples of these direct impacts. Indirect influences can come about through the influence of the physical environment on our behaviour - for example, we know that the presence or absence of good quality, accessible greenspace influences physical activity and that people think accessible outdoor spaces are important, not just for exercise, but also for relaxation and socialising.

This section aims to provide a summary of a range of indicators that tell us about our physical environment. Current indicators in this section include: Air Quality; Fuel Poverty; Housing; Recycling; Greenspace/Open Space; Proximity to Derelict Sites; and Urban Land Use. As other relevant information becomes available we will add to this section.

The data on the Understanding Glasgow website comes from a variety of administrative sources and surveys, and the frequency of updates to these sources varies. The graphs and text on each page should indicate the period to which an indicator refers.  In some cases, where more recently published data is not available, we still use older published sources, such as the 2011 Census. Find out more about the timeliness of data presented on this website.

This page was updated in July 2023.

Additional Resources

  • Resource
    Thursday, 26 May 2011

    Your Better Life Index

    A new, interactive index allowing users to measure and compare their lives.
  • Resource
    Wednesday, 18 May 2011

    The Sustainable Cities Index

    Progress on sustainability, highlighting environmental performance, quality of life and their readiness for the challenges of the future
  • Resource
    Monday, 1 December 2008

    Good Places Better Health

    A new approach to environment and health in Scotland
View more Resources »